Odyssey 2/High Pointe Company is for those dancers over the age of 15 who would like to compete, go to conventions as well as perform with Utah’s own Odyssey Dance Theatre in their professional shows. Company members will compete 3-4 routines at 2-3 competitions as well as attend 3 conventions (including Shut Up and Dance which is 100% on scholarship by ODT.) Company members will be afforded the best of both worlds; the finest training and competition company life at The Pointe Academy as well as the highly-sought for opportunity to learn and grow under the direction of Derryl Yeager, founder of Odyssey Dance Theatre. Company members will not be allowed to participate in any team sports, dance companies, cheer, or similar type groups. Your company must be your first priority and other activities should not interfere with your dance training and class schedule. If a conflict arises, you will be asked to make a choice. Company members are selected by skill level, dedication, previous class and performance attendance, and attitude. O2/Pointe Company members will take class for approximately 13.5 hours, 4-6x/week. For auditions, please wear fitted dance attire with no bare midriffs, hair pulled back & bring ballet, jazz and tap shoes. You will also need a 5×7 or 8×10 headshot with your name/age written on the back along with your audition form completely filled out.
Odyssey 2/Pointe Jazz Company Auditions:
15+years TUE MAY 13 – 8:00-9:30pm, Registration 7:30-8 Call backs: MON MAY 19, 7:30-9:30pm
O2/Pointe Company member tuition is $310. All O2/Pointe Company members will receive a $100/month scholarship, then a Loyalty scholarship will be awarded to those company members who have previously attended The Pointe. They will receive an additional $20/month scholarship for every year they have consecutively attended The Pointe. For example, an O2/Pointe Company member has attended The Pointe for 5 years. They would receive a $200/month scholarship.
Due at Auditions:
- Registration fee: $35/person or $50/family Audition fee: $100 (applied to company fees)
- Company Fees (Paid in 7 monthly payments-June through December)
- Costume fee: $125 per costume (3-4 routines.) Any costumes needed for O2 events will be on scholarship by The Pointe Choreography Fee: $200-300
- Company Warmups: $150 (new members only, same design as last season)
- O2 Jacket: $0 (scholarship from The Pointe)
- Company Jewelry: $35 (choker/earrings) New this year!
- Ballet Recital Costume: $0 rental ($50 scholarship from The Pointe)
- Benefit Concert/Company Showcase fee: $50
- Other Fees due throughout the year: Family recital fee-$45 due March 1st, Company pictures, Ticket/entry fees to outside performance opportunities, tights, shoes, hair & makeup supplies (these items should be purchased on your own.)
- Re-spacing Fee: Competitions are absolutely mandatory & we have to expect 100% attendance. For those who do not attend, there is a $50/ routine re-spacing fee.
Company members will attend competitions and conventions (Jan through May) each season. You can expect $20-40 in competition fees per dance per competition. Conventions are workshops where the dancers take class from top industry professionals as well as compete their routines. Conventions run for 2 full days typically late into the evening and cost is $200-250 plus the cost to compete.
For your convenience, The Pointe will estimate the cost of your competition fees based off the previous 2 years and divide into 7 payments, which you will pay from June through December. The final and 8th payment will be your remaining balance due which we will publish August/September. This final payment will be due Jan 1st.
Summer requirements 2014: All company members are required to take summer classes June-August.
- Summer technique classes for company begin June 6 and end July 28. We allow flexibility with trips, vacations, etc during this time although there are not discounts on tuition. We will be closed July 4 and July 24.
- Super Saturday: Extra rehearsals will be scheduled December-March as needed.
Bootcamp is just before the 1st competition sometime in Jan-Feb and runs for a full week including either the Saturday before or just after the week of classes. Attendance is mandatory.
All company members will dance at our Benefit Concert, Company Showcase (Spring,) and Recital (May/June) as well as other performance opportunities (basketball halftimes, various shows, etc) as they arise.
End of Year Spring Recital:
All company members will participate in our end of year Spring Recital and Ballet Showcase held sometime the last part of May/1st part of June.
Company members will be assigned classes to assist (at least 1 class/week) and will help daily with light cleaning such as sweeping studios and cleaning mirrors.
Company members will participate with ODT productions such as Thriller, ReDux Nutcracker, etc… Company members need to keep the entire month of October open for Thriller performances, November/December for ReDux and March for Spring Show. Company members will assist in the set up and running of Shut Up and Dance. They will take classes on scholarship from ODT and showcase their pieces.
Optional Touring Ensemble Piece:
Company members will have the opportunity to participate in an “Ensemble” piece, which they will compete in addition to their company pieces and take to Nationals. We will hold a meeting during the summer to discuss and see who might be interested.